A record number of supporters attended the gala dinner and reception and the golf tournament scramble at the third annual GameChanger prevention education classic held May 24 and 25 at the world-famous Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, W.Va.
More than 500 GameChanger allies attended both the reception and dinner on the evening of May 24, while 54 golf threesomes paid to support prevention education in West Virginia schools on May 25, as 42 teams took to both the Old White and Meadows courses on a perfect sun-splashed afternoon.
Three-time national champion and Hall of Fame basketball coach Roy Williams delivered the keynote address, adding to a growing tradition started by keynote honorees Nick and Terry Saban (2021) and Brad Paisley (2022).
Coach Williams was introduced by West Virginia’s own Hall of Fame basketball coach Bob Huggins, while WVU women’s basketball star and Hall of Fame inductee Meg Bulger, who serves as GameChanger community and education liaison, emceed the event.
In addition to Williams, West Virginia Governor Jim Justice (the GameChanger head coach), United States Senators Joe Manchin and Shelley Moore Capito, State Superintendent of Schools David Roach, Harrison County superintendent Dora Stutler and Madison Middle School principal Shann Elkins addressed the crowd, as did GameChanger executive director Joe Boczek and chairman of the board Larry Puccio.
GameChanger supporters with West Virginia and national ties in education, business, health care, athletics and public service turned out in record numbers, including:
- West Virginia University President E. Gordon Gee
- West Virginia State Senate President Craig Blair
- West Virginia Speaker of the House Roger Hanshaw
- West Virginia Commissioner of Behavioral Health Christina Mullins
- West Virginia State Superintendent of Schools David Roach
- West Virginia State Board President Paul Hardesty
- Marshall Head Football Coach Charles Huff
- Hall of Fame, National ChampionMarshall Football Coach Bob Pruett
- Jacksonville State Head Football Coach Rich Rodriguez
- WVU Deputy Director of Athletics Steve Uryasz
- WVU Assistant Basketball Coach Ron Everhart
- WVU Assistant Basketball Coach Josh Eilert
- New WVU head Women’s Basketball Coach Mark Kellogg
Former NFL Players and WVU Greats Anthony Becht; Marc Bulger; Darryl Talley; Brian Jozwiak; Avon Cobourne; Bo Orlando; Bill Legg; Duke Henshaw; Joe Pendry and Major Harris. Former WVU basketball Players HerbieBrooks; Alex Ruoff; Kevin Jones and Cam Thoroughman; Youngstown Head Basketball Coach Jerrod Calhoun; Marshall Head Women’s Basketball Coach Brooke Burkhammer.
Special welcome and thanks to new GameChanger Director of Media Relations and current Auburn Assistant Athletic Director of Media Relations Shelly Poe, who returned to the state for the first time as a GameChanger volunteer.